Jawshark.Com - Main Logo


 AU Mini Australian flag - Jawshark.com - UNITED STATES - SOUTH AFRICA

Welcome to Jawshark.com's list of news articles pertaining to attacks made by Great White Sharks off the coast of Australia. These articles are referenced from many sources including other Internet websites, newspaper article archives, first hand accounts emailed to me and articles written by me after viewing recent accounts on various television news channels. Their accuracy is as good as their sources which means they are as accurate as they can get. With that being said I think they are fairly if not entirely accurate. The basics of the story are there. A number of these articles were written by journalists with a deadline and a pen itching for sensationalism. That is ok with me as long as the basic story is true.

The reason I even bring this up is because of my observations of the news coverage of the recent fatality off the United States California coast of Dr. David Martin. I watched first hand news footage of one of his Triathalon Swim Club mates say how he saw him go under, a red patch of blood appear in the water, and Dr. Martin resurface to call out to them. This was a first hand witness account...

Not a day later I am reading an article on Yahoo News about the event and the author (who shall remain nameless) decided to throw in how Dr. Martin was flipped up into the air as he was being mauled by the shark. Next I will read how the shark breached the surface with Dr. Martin's body halfway in his mouth. See what I mean? So take these articles with a grain of salt. It's a good bet most are generally true through and a good reference of the "facts"........enjoy.

Great White Shark encounters from unsafe vantage points in Australia......

Australia Great White Shark Attack Articles

Aussie Ben Morcom attacked by a Great White Dec 18th 2007

Ben Morcom Great White Shark Attack article and map - Jawshark.com

Great white shark attack victim fights back - and wins

1:13PM Tuesday October 16, 2007
By Andy Parks
Byron Bay shark attack survivor Linda Whitehurst with husband Glen.

Linda Whitehurst shows how shark attacked - Jawshark.com

LISMORE - "I'm happy to be alive and to have all my limbs." They were the first words that Linda Whitehurst said after being released from the Emergency Department at Byron Bay Hospital yesterday after she was attacked by a three-metre great white shark off Main Beach.

Linda and her husband Glen were paddling surf skis about 150 metres from shore and heading back to the beach at the time of the attack.

"We were riding the waves back in and I saw this big thing underneath me. At first I thought maybe it was a dolphin or a turtle so I kept paddling. Then I turned around and saw this big dark object and I knew it was a shark
thought, 'oh my God' and screamed and tried to scare the shark."Glen was paddling in his own 6m surf ski when he heard his wife scream and saw the shark attack her.

"It lifted itself out of the water and onto the back of the boat. It had the back of her boat in its mouth and gave it a good shake," he said. Linda was knocked into the water.

Glen said that after she was knocked out of the boat she went underwater and at that stage he was 'very concerned'."I thought this is it, he's going to grab my leg or ankle," Linda said.

But the couple, who spend a lot of time in the water and described themselves as 'competitive water sports people', had discussed what to do if they ever found themselves in a situation where they were attacked by a shark. Linda says she didn't panic and that adrenalin took over.

"I just tried making as much motion and noise as I could to show the shark that I'm bigger and stronger than it, " Linda said. "I got my blade (paddle) and was punching the shark in the face as hard as I could."I saw a program on SBS TV just last week about sharks and surf skis. I'm fascinated by shark attacks," she said.

"I saw that look in its eye that I've seen so many times before on TV. "We've talked about it a lot, " Glen said. "The policy is if it goes for you, then you go for it. " Linda managed to beat the shark away and swim back to her surf ski which had drifted away. Glen told her to swim over to his surf ski, but hers was closer. She managed to get back in and paddle to shore.

"You just go. The adrenalin is pumping so fast that you can do anything," she said.

Linda, a registered nurse, used to work at Byron Bay Hospital. She said she wasn't panicked once she was out of the water. Glen drove her to the hospital where she was treated for a cut she got hitting the shark and got four stitches in her forearm.

The couple said that they were looking forward to having a relaxing, romantic day together after their kids had gone back to school after two weeks of school holidays. They seemed surprisingly level-headed after their ordeal and were happy to talk to the media, saying they hoped their experience could help others who might find themselves in a similar situation.

"Every year at this time there are great whites around here," Glen said. "We know we live with them. It's their backyard."

Stephen Leahy, the co-ordinator of the Northern NSW Lifeguard Service said: "No beach is ever 100 per cent safe, but there is nothing to suggest that the shark is still in the area." "We will work with the local police to continue to monitor the beaches over the next few days."

A group of English backpackers on the beach said they would go back in. "Maybe I won't go too deep though," said Mark Fenson. "I might send my friends in first," said Dean Cowan.

Article credit : The New Zealand Herald

Diver in Australia survives shark attack Jan. 23, 2007

The Sydney Morning Herald ~

It seems Eric Nerhus, an abalone diver, did not impress the discerning palate of the three-metre white pointer shark that attacked him yesterday. The shark had Mr Nerhus's head in its jaws, but marine experts say it chewed him then spat him out when it realised he was not a seal. Mr Nerhus, 41, a black belt in karate who has been diving professionally for five years, was scouring reefs at Cape Howe, near Eden, with his son, Mark, 16, when the shark pounced about 9.30am Jan 22.

In an instant the shark snapped its jaw around Mr Nerhus's head with such force it crushed his face mask and broke his nose. He fought to break free but Mr Nerhus's torso was then pulled into the shark's mouth and it bit into the diver's sides. "He was actually bitten by the head down," said a friend and fellow diver, Dennis Luobikis. "The shark swallowed his head." But the white pointer, probably weighing about 500 kilograms, would not have liked the taste, said an aquarist at Sydney Aquarium, Grant Willis. "They go for rich, fatty meat, like seals, and with his black diving outfit moving around in the reef [Mr Nerhus] would have looked like a seal. Humans are not a part of their diet. When it bit into this scrawny human being it would probably have thought 'yuck' and let him go." Eric Nerhus on stretcher after shark attack - Jawshark.comA small window of opportunity would then have opened for the Eden-born local, the son of a fisherman, to save himself. Mr Nerhus, who was recovering in Wollongong Hospital last night, told friends and rescuers he had used his abalone chisel to hit the shark about the head and poke its eye to escape.He was pulled into a boat by his son, bleeding from his head, arms and both sides of his stomach. "I went over and there was a big pool of red blood," Mark Nerhus said. "He'd come up to the surface and he was going, 'Help, help'. I pulled him out of the water and he was yelling at me, 'Just get me to shore'." Other friends said the father's main concern at that stage was that if his face was disfigured Mark would be psychologically traumatised. Two abalone divers nearby, Tony Banks and Reece Warren, used their boat to speed Mr Nerhus on the hour-long trip back to Eden, where the Snowy Hydro SouthCare rescue helicopter was waiting. Such was the level of interest in Mr Nerhus's tale that an exclusive deal with a television network had been brokered within hours of the attack. Last night Mr Nerhus was reported to be in a stable condition, although he will require further surgery before being discharged later this week.

PERTH, Australia (15 Jan 2006) -- A Perth diver has told how a white pointer shark "chomped" on his arm before the monster took him for a terrifyingly brief "ride". Bernie Williams, 46, was bitten on the left elbow after the predator grabbed him from behind as he was scuba diving about 3km offshore from City Beach. The attack happened at about 11am (WST) on Sunday. Mr Williams fought off the three- to 3.5-metre white pointer by striking it with his spear gun. The electrician, an experienced diver, has told how he was diving with two friends when the shark appeared from nowhere.

"It just came out on my left hand side from below," Mr Williams, of the northern Perth beachside suburb of Sorrento, told Network Ten. "I never even saw it coming. "(It) chomped on my arm (and) took me for a ride for about two metres."

The father of three said that as soon as he spotted the shark he stabbed it in the nose with his spear gun. "It was just like hitting a lump of steel," Mr Williams said from Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital where he is recovering. He said his first instinct had been to hide among a reef and search for his friends and his boat. Meanwhile, two fishermen, who had also seen the white pointer before it attacked, had raised the alarm. "They advised Water Police that there was a dive vessel nearby with a flag up and there was nobody on board," a Fisheries spokesman said. "The Water Police requested that they go over the general vicinity and rev the engine of the boat to attract the attention of the people under water."

A short time later Mr Williams surfaced - he had already been attacked. It was believed he had separated from the other divers at the time of the attack, said the Fisheries spokesman. "One of the other divers apparently had some sort of a shark shield device - a commercial shark repellant - and that may have helped them in the process of them getting back on board safely," the spokesman said.


CANBERRA, Australia, March 20, 2005 -

   Geoffrey Brazier, 26, was bitten in half by a 20-foot shark off the west coast of Australia. (AP)

A 20-foot shark tore a man in half as he was snorkeling off Australia's west coast, police said Sunday. Geoffrey Brazier, a pleasure boat deck hand who was snorkeling with tourists, died instantly in the attack Saturday afternoon off the Abrolhos Islands about 250 miles north of the Western Australia state capital, Perth, said Police Inspector George Putland. Geoffrey Brazier sitting on deck of boat - Jawshark.com "The 26-year-old man was bitten in half by the 20-foot animal and death seemed to be instantaneous," said Putland, adding that the man's body so far has not been recovered. The species of shark is not yet known and it was not clear how many people were in the water with the victim at the time of the attack. No one else was injured. Area residents have speculated that a great white shark or tiger shark is responsible. There were no immediate plans to hunt the shark. The fatality is the first in Australian waters since December, when an 18-year-old surfer was bitten in half by a 16-foot great white shark off a beach in the southern city of Adelaide. A week earlier, a shark killed a 38-year-old diver spear fishing on the Great Barrier Reef off northeast Australia*. The latest attack is the first to occur off the west coast since two sharks killed a 29-year-old surfer south of Perth in July. Experts said then that sharks were not previously known to hunt in pairs.

back to fatalities by country AUS

*Try as I might, I have not been able to find the name or information of this on this occurrence. I would love to hear from you if you know about this.

December 17, 2004  Adelaide Beach, Australia -

SYDNEY December 17, 2004 - Nick Peterson, a young Australian surfer was killed in a horrifying attack by two great white sharks at a popular Adelaide beach on Thursday, the second fatal attack in five days, rescue officials and witnesses said.

Witnesses reported seeing the two sharks -- one up to five metres (16 feet) long -- attack the teenager while he was being towed behind a boat on his surfboard. "It got his left arm and took him around the boat and then another shark has come in and they just took him to pieces," an unidentified woman told Nine Network television. Police and emergency officials said they had been unable to find any sign of the surfer or the sharks since the mid-afternoon attack off West Beach in the South Australian state capital of Adelaide. They said the attack happened after the surfer, described as an 18-year-old, fell from his surfboard which was being towed by three friends in a small boat about 300 metres (980 feet) from shore. "He fell off the surfboard and the shark appeared and took him," rescue worker Fraser Bell told reporters. "Apparently it tore him in half and the other shark came in and took the rest," he said.


The father of a surfer killed by a great white shark off an Adelaide beach does not want it destroyed, saying the ocean is the animal's domain. As authorities ordered the 5m long shark to be found and destroyed, Philip Peterson, the father of 18-year-old victim Nick Peterson, said his son admired and respected sharks. Nick Peterson was killed instantly when he was attacked by the shark as he was towed behind a boat on a surfboard just 300 metres off Adelaide's popular metropolitan West Beach yesterday. "It came up from nowhere - he didn't see it for a second before it happened,'' Adam Floreani, one of three 16-year-old friends in the boat who watched the horrific attack, told Channel Seven. The friends said Mr Peterson had fought for his life, hitting the shark as it took him away. "He went down fighting - he didn't give up,'' said Mr Floreani. Police initially believed they had found some of Mr Peterson's remains today but tests later showed they were not human tissue. Philip Peterson today visited West Beach with his wife Leonie to see where their son died. He said the decision to destroy the shark was "out of my hands''. "We acknowledge that the sea is, in fact, the shark's domain.

"We don't, and I certainly personally don't, advocate the indiscriminate killing of any shark. They are to be admired, appreciated and respected, and Nick knew that.'' Great whites are a protected species, but a meeting today of government, police, fisheries and coast guard officials ordered the killer shark be found and destroyed. "Any shark posing a threat or risk to human life . . . should be destroyed, that is unequivocal,'' acting SA Premier Kevin Foley said. He defended inaction over a sighting last week of a shark, believed to be the one involved in yesterday's killing, at an adjoining beach to West Beach. "Should action have been taken earlier? Every summer we are confronted with that dilemma,'' Mr Foley said. "We don't know at all whether the shark that took this poor victim was the shark that was sighted last week. "What we don't want is a standard culling approach to great white sharks at the beginning of every summer.'' Several sightings of the killer shark were made near West Beach today as about 50 emergency service boats, supported by helicopters, searched for the animal and any remains of Nick Peterson. Mr Peterson said the death of his son, an experienced ocean-goer, should prompt more funding to make beaches safer from shark attack. "I am concerned, as are the family, that there will be a number of (ocean) activities in a very warm period in the ensuing days,'' he said.

back to fatalities by country AUS

Shark attack takes life of 31 year old surfer at Lefthanders, in WA.  

Brad Smith surfing photo - Jawshark.com

 Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 11 July 2004: - While surfing Noisys near lefthanders in Gracetown on Saturday 31 year old Brad Smith from Rockingham lost his life doing what he loved best, surfing. He passed away before reaching the shore. Police have closed beaches in the region.

The surf beach global local was well respected not only in Rockingham, but where ever he surfed with his go hard attitude and his surfing prowess. Sure you have heard the term legend thrown around before, but in this case it really applies.

His friends assembled in the surf beach car park at Secret Harbour last night, the stories and facts came out about a man who loved, life, surfing and his mates.

He was a man who not only used to dive alone spearing fish in water that was deeper than Loch Ness, but a man who traveled the world and surfed places that were so suss that most of us would just sit on the beach and watch.

A man that would stick up for his mates and was as Australian as Ayers Rock. A hard tough man that called a spade a spade and was scared of nothing and no one and in my opinion could hold his own both in and out of the water. This man also had a heart of gold and under his tough exterior, lay a gentle giant.

How tough was this legend? Friends were describing how he fought the first shark and refused to give in, punching it in the head continuously and giving it the fight of it´s life which unfortunately cost him his.

But remember this, it took two of the Bastards to take him down and he went down with a fight. The second shark leaped out of the water in flight and was also believed to be a White Pointer, one shark was believed to be 3 metres in length while the other was around 5 metres.

He will never be forgotten and just like a world war 1 digger will always be remembered and respected.

Sincere condolences to the Smith family from all of Brads friends.

Rest in peace and hope you catch up with Simmo and the rest of the crew and have a great time wherever you are.

From all the lads in Rocko and those who have had the pleasure to have met you and surf with you.

back to fatalities by country AUS


PORT LINCOLN, Australia (20 Mar 2003) -- The coronial inquest into the death of commercial diver Paul Buckland has heard evidence the diver may not have correctly used his shark repellant device. Mr Buckland, 23, was attacked and killed by a great white shark while diving for scallops in the waters off Smoky Bay on April 30 last year. He was wearing a Shark Pod which his crew member advised was switched on when he retrieved Mr Buckland from the water. State Coroner Wayne Chivell heard evidence in the Port Lincoln court yesterday of the circumstances surrounding Mr Buckland's death as well as evidence from the manufacturer of the Shark Pod, Sea Change Technology and from the police water operations unit. The court heard that prior to his death, Mr Buckland was not wearing the shark pod to the manufacturer's specifications and may only have turned the device on when he saw the shark approaching.

Eyewitness evidence

     An employee of Mr Buckland, Shannon Jenzen, 24, witnessed the attack and pulled his friend from the water before he died on the boat from the injuries sustained in the attack. It was reported at the time that Mr Buckland lost his left leg and a significant part of his torso in the attack. Mr Jenzen said the pair worked together three or four days a week during the scallop season from mid-March to Christmas and he had worked for Mr Buckland for over a year. He told the coroner he and Mr Buckland had left the Smoky Bay boat ramp at about 7.30am that day in a 6.5 metre mono-hulled aluminium boat and had dived for scallops in five different locations before moving to their final location. He said he couldn't be sure of where they were when the attack occurred, because he didn't have the knowledge of the headlands, but he said a police officer had said that by descriptions, it sounded like the attack occurred near Saddle Point. He had dived at 11.30am and returned to the surface about an hour later to swap diving duties with Mr Buckland. "I got the signal to come back up and we swapped straight over," he said. He said he took the pod off and gave it to Mr Buckland, but he didn't see him turn the device on, because that was normally done when the diver was in the water.

       About 10 minutes later, Mr Buckland surfaced, about 50m to 100m away from the boat. "I heard him call out and I knew exactly what he'd seen and I turned the motor on," he said. "I didn't see the shark there at the time. I started the motor and went to go out to him and I then saw the shark...it was huge." Mr Jenzen said he hit the shark, which was as big as the boat, with the side of the boat when he was close to Mr Buckland. "It didn't move at all - it ignored me," he said. "I saw the shark attack him, but it never took him down. "Finally I got him (Mr Buckland) into the boat." Mr Jenzen said while he was pulling Mr Buckland into the boat, he felt the pulses being sent out by the shark pod. "I turned (the pod) off and got it off him as quick as I could." He said he left Mr Buckland in his wetsuit, but wrapped him in a doona, which was on board to protect the scallops from the sun, but he died shortly after. He tried to use Mr Buckland's mobile telephone to call for help, but the batteries had gone flat and the on-board radio wasn't working because of faulty wiring. He said he spotted whiting fishermen only a few minutes away and "steamed" toward them.

back to fatalities by country AUS

Shark POD didn't save diver - May 2002.  Scallop diver Paul Buckland was wearing an activated shark-repelling device during the savage shark attack that killed him. The 23-year-old professional diver from Port Lincoln died in his diving partner's arms after being bitten almost in half 13km west of Smoky Bay in the Great Australian Bight on Tuesday.

Local fishermen believe the shark responsible for the attack was a 7m-long white pointer, seen in the area over the past fortnight. It is understood Mr. Buckland was wearing an activated Shark POD at the time of the attack - the same device used by the army and competitors in the Sydney Olympics. Scallop diver Russell Barber witnessed the attack from a boat 800m away and said it occurred at the surface.

"He had his Shark POD on, and it was working because it was giving his diving partner shocks as he pulled him into the boat. "He was dead within 30 seconds - he had no leg and no hip area left." The 22-year-old diver said his faith in the repelling device had been shattered. Production of the Shark POD ceased in March after the launch of the Shark Shield by Adelaide company SeaChange Technology. A spokesman said there could not be a safety guarantee, but there had been no known attack on anyone wearing a Shark POD.

"Thousands of people have used the technology in many parts of the world over seven years, and (in) a comprehensive scientific test program several years before that," he said. "Many, many lives have been saved by this technology and, frankly, the limited facts about this incident don't add up at this stage." Port Lincoln abalone diver Norm Craig, speaking on behalf of the Buckland family, said: "Paul would have felt quite safe because he had the POD on." Mr Craig said most divers felt the POD would save them from a cruising shark, but not from a white pointer aggressively hunting.

My thoughts....The device this guy was wearing was designed to deter an average run of the mill shark. Not a 7meter....(that's 22 FEET LONG to us Americans) monster which was probably pretty damn hungry.  It probably never felt the electric shocks that were supposed to deter it. And even if it did, it didn't care.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au                      back to fatalities by country AUS



Australian Coronors Inquest Seal - Jawshark.com


An Inquest taken on behalf of our Sovereign Lady the Queen at Adelaide in the State of South Australia, on the 2nd and 22nd days of February, 2001, before Wayne Cromwell Chivell, a Coroner for the said State, concerning the disappearance of Cameron Smeaton Bayes.

I, the said Coroner, find that Cameron Smeaton Bayes, aged 25 years, late of 12 Juliette Place, Forrest Hill, Auckland, New Zealand, died at Cactus Beach, near Point Sinclair, South Australia on the 24th day of September, 2000 as a result of multiple injuries. The circumstances of death were as follows:-


Cameron Smeaton Bayes disappeared on Sunday 24th September 2000. He had been surfing at Cactus Beach, which is on the far West Coast of South Australia.Section 12(1)(e) of the Coroners Act, 1975 empowers me to conduct an inquest into "the disappearance from, or within, the State of any person." I am satisfied that I have jurisdiction to conduct an inquest into the disappearance of Mr Bayes.

Cameron Bayes and his wife Tina-Marie arrived at Cactus Beach on the 23rd September 2000. Mrs Bayes said that on 24th September 2000, her husband went surfing at about 6.15am (exhibit C2a, page 1).

Mr Jeffrey Hunter was sitting on a platform on a sandhill at Cactus Beach at between 7.15am and 7.30am that morning, watching a lone surfer, who was obviously Cameron Bayes, about 70 to 80 metres from shore. Mr Hunter’s statement reads:-

"I looked at this man and saw a shark coming out of the water around him, it was thrashing on and around the man. Its head was shaking from side to side and thrashing in a circular motion, there was a bit of blood in the water. I could see the man and the shark at the same time and then they both went under the water. Where it was happening it just looked like it was all shark, I couldn’t even see the surfboard.

The man came up, I only saw his head and body, he seemed to be back on his board and started paddling. He made about three metres and then the shark went for him again, the shark was thrashing and shaking its head, there was a lot of blood. The shark seemed to take him underwater and there were only a couple of bits of board left. It took him under, and there was a bit more thrashing under the water.

A couple of minutes later I saw it surface about 500 metres out, it thrashed again and released the main bit of the board. It rolled over and I could see the underside of the shark, it was clearly white, the top part of the shark was a dark grey. The main part of the board floated towards Caves.

Conditions at the time were overcast, no wind, misty with a three to four foot swell. I know from surfing this beach that the water where the attack occurred is about two metres deep. I would estimate the shark was between four and five metres long."

(exhibit C4a, pages 1 - 2)

Mr Hunter’s son Harry, then aged eleven, also witnessed the attack (see exhibit C3a).

Harry Hunter ran into the camping area and raised the alarm. Mr Peter Ryan and several others ran to the top of the sandhill and saw the shark rolling over and "a big spurt of blood" (exhibit C5a). Mr Trevor Prow also saw the shark thrashing and what he thought was the upper torso of a person in its mouth. He added:-

"I have been a professional fisherman for thirteen years and know the shark was a white pointer about sixteen to eighteen feet long."

(exhibit C6a, page 1-2)

Dallas Power (exhibit C7a) and Bruce Martin (exhibit C8a) made similar observations.

Mr Bayes’ disappearance was reported to the police by telephone at Ceduna who alerted Senior Constable Brenton Philps at Penong, about 25 kilometres away. Mr Philps promptly attended at Cactus Beach and obtained statements from the previously mentioned witnesses. He also took possession of three large pieces of Cameron Bayes’ surfboard which had been collected by the witnesses.

Senior Constable Philps organised a search by boat of the general area, although this was difficult in the area of the attack due to the two metre swell.

Sergeant PA Heaft of Penong Police Station attended at Cactus Beach and coordinated the subsequent search efforts. Throughout that afternoon and for the following three days the area was searched thoroughly by four wheel drive, motor cycle and on foot, but no further items of significance were found.

 back to fatalities by country AUS


       SOUTH   Australian Coronors Inquest Seal - Jawshark.com  AUSTRALIA




An Inquest taken on behalf of our Sovereign Lady the Queen at Adelaide in the State of South Australia, on the 2nd and 22nd days of February, 2001, before Wayne Cromwell Chivell, a Coroner for the said State, concerning the disappearance of Jevan Wright.

I, the said Coroner, find that Jevan Wright, aged 17 years, late of 26 Sinclair Street, Port Lincoln, died at Blackfellows Point near Elliston, South Australia on the 25th day of September, 2000 as a result of multiple injuries. The circumstances of death were as follows:-


Jevan Wright disappeared on Monday 25th September 2000. He had been surfing at Blackfellows Point near Elliston, South Australia.Section 12(1)(e) of the Coroners Act, 1975 empowers me to conduct an inquest into "the disappearance from, or within, the State of any person." I am satisfied that I have jurisdiction to conduct an inquest into the disappearance of Mr Wright.

Graham Keith Chapman, then aged 40 years, a fisherman of Port Lincoln was the father of Jevan Wright’s girlfriend. On the 25th September 2000 Mr Chapman was surfing at Blackfellows Point, which is approximately 5 kilometres north of Elliston on the west coast of South Australia.

When Mr Chapman came out of the water at around 10.30am he saw Jevan Wright getting changed to go surfing. When he returned at about 11.40am, Mr Chapman saw that Jevan was still surfing and so he and two other men, Craig Pringle ("Nugget") and Kym Castley, paddled out to joint him.

Mr Chapman said there were a number of dolphins and also a particularly friendly seal in the area where they were surfing.

At about 12.45pm, Mr Chapman, Jevan and Kim Castley all decided to go in. Mr Castley caught the first wave in towards the cliffs, and Mr Chapman saw that the seal followed him in. Jevan caught the next wave, but he disappeared soon afterwards. Mr Chapman said:-

"Jevan caught the next wave in. When I thought that he should have reached the rocks and standing up, I couldn’t see Jevan. I was scanning the water and couldn’t see him anywhere and I turned to Nugget and asked if he could see Jevan. Nugget couldn’t see him either. The sea at the time was flat and a short time later, a wave came and lifted us both up and I could see the back tail of the shark sticking out about two feet out of the water. I could also see quite a bit of the length of the body of the sharks tail, and Jevan’s board was inside of the shark and the board looked quite small.

Jevan was wearing a black wet suit and a light blue helmet, and I kept looking for the helmet but I couldn’t see it.

I then turned to Nugget and said, "It’s a shark and it’s got Jevan".

Looking at the shark’s tail and the white of its underbelly, I could tell that it was a white pointer and its tail was bigger than the surfboard which is 6’2" long, and that wasn’t taking into account the sharks body.

When the next wave lifted us up again, the shark was still there, with its tail sticking out of the water, thrashing from side to side. Jevan must have still been attached to his leg rope because the board was still right alongside of the shark."

(Exhibit C2a page 2)

Mr Chapman and Mr Pringle then paddled their boards into the rocks where they looked out to sea but could see nothing. They paddled out again and recovered a piece of Jevan’s surfboard, which had been severely damaged, and then paddled into shore and raised the alarm.

Mr Chapman gave a further statement on 2nd January 2001 in which he provided some further information. He said:-

"I remember Jevan was wearing a light blue Gath helmet, a special brand surfing helmet. I remember seeing Jevan’s helmet and his right arm sticking out of the sharks mouth as he was being pushed under the water. This part should have been included in my statement prior to me seeing the back tail of the shark sticking out of the water."

(exhibit C2b page 2)

Mr Chapman’s version of these events is corroborated by the statements of Mr Pringle (exhibit C3a) and Mr Castley (exhibit C5a). Mr Castley confirmed Jevans disappearance, although he did not see the shark. Mr Pringle said that he saw the shark’s tail thrashing and sending spray to each side. (exhibit C3a, page 3).

Senior Constable A L Traeger of the Elliston Police Station initially spoke to Mr Castley who came to his house. Constable Traeger proceeded immediately to the area, having spoken to Mr Chapman on the way.

Constable Traeger then organised a search of the area for the rest of the afternoon and for the following three days.

During the afternoon of the 20th September 2000, a small piece of Jevan’s surfboard was found by Mr David Bascomb who had been assisting in the search in his boat. The piece measured only about six inches by four inches, and was found approximately one kilometre north west of the surf-break. (exhibit C6a).

Nothing further was discovered during the subsequent searching.

The surfboard and the fragment found by Mr Bascomb were examined by Dr Jane Taylor, Forensic Odontologist. Dr Taylor is unable to reach any firm conclusion that the damage evident in the surfboard and the fragment was caused by a shark, since the fracture line was irregular in nature and showed none of the characteristic markings. (see Exhibit C1a)


In view of the evidence, particularly the evidence of Mr Chapman, I have no doubt that Jevan Wright died as a result of a shark attack. Having regard to his evidence, the shark in question must have been an extremely large one. Having regard to Mr Chapman’s observations, it is not surprising that Jevan’s body, or a part thereof, has not been recovered. The precise cause of his death cannot be ascertained, although it was obviously due to multiple injuries.

Back to

Map of Jevan Wright shark attack - Jawshark.com

Jeven Wright Blackfellows Point 2000 site of shark attack - Jawshark.com

 back to fatalities by country AUS


Perth Businessman Killed by White Pointer. Cotteloe Beach, AU Nov. 6, 2000

     Two men fought desperately to hunt away a shark as it fatally mauled a friend off one of Perth's most popular beaches today. Local businessman and father-of-three Ken Crew, 49, died after having his leg ripped off by what fisheries officers believe to be a white pointer shark up to four metres long. Witnesses praised the bravery of two men who tried to fend off the shark and pulled the dying man from the water. Mr Crew was returning from his daily swim when he was attacked about 30 metres off Cottesloe beach around 6.30am (WST). Fellow swimmer Dirk Avery, 52, suffered deep wounds on his feet as he tried to fight off the shark. He was in a stable condition tonight in Fremantle Hospital, where he was taken for surgery. A second rescuer, identified only as John, was unhurt. The men were part of a group of about 10 swimmers returning to shore when the shark attacked in waist-deep water. Father Brian Morrison, a Perth priest and friend of the dead man, was watching from a nearby cafe. "Two men went to rescue - one was hurt on the legs, he's in hospital, but we don't know if it's too serious," he told ABC radio. "The other man I think is the hero because he really tried to drag him away from the shark. "He seemed to run in and try to get rid of the shark in some way." Father Morrison administered the last rites to Mr Crew as he lay on the beach. Family friend Lee Tate said a "very brave" Mr Avery had tried to kick the shark away from Mr Crew. "When Ken was attacked by the shark the other man was attempting to kick that shark away standing on the reef," he said. "The shark was so big and so many people saw it and had called out `shark' ... but by that stage the attack had happened and people were basically helpless to do anything about it. "He (Mr Crew) was helped onto shore with a severe loss of blood and unfortunately, as I understand it, he died on the beach."

   Mr Tate said Mr Crew's wife Robin was walking on the beach when the attack happened, and although she did not see the incident, was at the scene soon after he was dragged to shore. Mrs Crew had suffered severe shock and trauma as a result, he said. The attacked happened in front of scores of witnesses at the popular beach, including cafe owner Kim Gamble, whose fashionable Blue Duck Cafe overlooks the scene of the attack. A distressed Mr Gamble described a "sea of blood" spreading in the water as the shark attacked. "From the balcony I could see this huge shark - it was really huge," he said. "There was a whole sea of blood and it was pulling the person. "It's something I wouldn't want to see again." One rescuer who helped drag Mr Crew to shore was taken to hospital in an ambulance suffering shock, surf officials said. Beaches from Fremantle to Hillarys remained closed as police and fisheries officials mounted an intensive sea and aerial search for the shark. No swimming beach photo - Jawshark.comA four-metre white pointer was spotted at Cottesloe more than three hours after the attack and was followed by officials in boats and helicopters for about 45 minutes before they lost sight of it. Fisheries WA research director Dr James Penn said the great white was a protected species and would only be killed as a last resort and after special permission had been obtained from environmental agencies. Last month, Perth beachgoers were warned to take care after two sharks - one believed to be a white pointer - were spotted off the city's northern beaches. Today's attack was the second at Cottesloe in three years. In October 1997, two men escaped injury when a five-metre shark - again believed to be a white pointer - bit their surf-ski in half 200 metres off shore. There had not been a fatal shark attack in Western Australia since 1995, when David Alan Weir, 29, was killed while diving for abalone on the south coast. Today's death follows two fatal shark attacks in South Australia in September.                Special Report filed by Bill May AAP

back to fatalities by country AUS

Tony Donoghue disappeared on Saturday 29 May 1999. He had been windsurfing at Hardwicke Bay on Yorke Peninsula, South Australia.

Section 12(1)(b) of the Coroners Act empowers me to conduct an inquest into "the disappearance (from any place) of any person ordinarily resident within the State". Mr. Donoghue was ordinarily resident at 226 Jeffcott Street, North Adelaide. I am satisfied that I have jurisdiction to conduct an inquest into his disappearance.

Mr. Donoghue had been staying at Hardwicke Bay with friends. He left to go windsurfing at about 12.15p.m. One of his friends, John Laurie, saw him windsurfing at about 2.30p.m. He said that he was "only a speck and far out" (Exhibit C.1a, p1).

When Mr. Donoghue had not returned by 5.00p.m., and his friends could not see him on the bay, they conducted a search along the shoreline and then reported his disappearance to the police.

A search was then organised by Constable Philip Copley from Minlaton Police Station. Mr. Donoghue’s sailboard was located at about 7.45p.m. Its position suggested that it had washed ashore by tidal movement rather than having been dragged ashore (Exhibit C.4a, p2). It was undamaged.

An even more extensive search was then mounted. It was coordinated by Sergeant R. Badenoch, a qualified Search and Rescue Mission Coordinator ("SARMC").

Police STAR Division and Water Response Unit participated, along with the helicopter Polair 2. The knowledge of local volunteers was utilized to calculate wind and tidal movements, and to conduct a sea search with their boats.

Mr. Donoghue’s wetsuit and harness were found during the night. Both had sustained damage, consistent with a shark attack. This was later confirmed by Dr. K. Brown, Forensic Odontologist (see Exhibit C.3a). Dr. Brown found that there were "numerous incisions and multiple branching tears distributed randomly penetrating through the 4.0 millimetre thickness of the neoprene back and front panels". He concluded:-

"The damage to the fragment of surfing wetsuit, harness and yoke, said to have been identified as belonging to Tony Donoghue, is consistent with damage produced by the triangular serrated teeth of a Great White Shark".

(Exhibit C.3a, p2).

The search was discontinued at 2.00a.m., and recommenced at 6.00a.m. on 30 May 1999 and continued during the morning, but nothing further was located.

Unfortunately, Mr. Donoghue’s body has never been found.

In all the circumstances, and particularly in view of Dr. Brown’s opinion as to the cause of the damage to the wetsuit, I find on the balance of probabilities that Tony Donoghue died on 29 May 1999 of multiple injuries as a result of a white shark attack while windsurfing at Hardwicke Bay.

back to fatalities by country AUS

Jury clears skipper in U.S. divers' deaths

Chicago Sun-Times,  Nov 25, 1999  by BARBIE DUTTER

SYDNEY, Australia A boat captain was cleared Wednesday in the deaths of two American tourists who were abandoned during a scuba- diving trip on the Great Barrier Reef last year.The bodies of Thomas and Eileen Lonergan have never been found, prompting suggestions that they deliberately "disappeared" or that Lonergan murdered his wife before killing himself.

Last year, the coroner in Cairns said the couple had either drowned or been eaten by sharks after being left behind at St. Crispin Reef, 40 miles off the north Queensland coast. The skipper, Geoffrey Nairn, was ordered to stand trial for unlawful killing by way of criminal negligence. Nairn was found not guilty Wednesday after two hours of deliberations by a jury at Cairns Supreme Court. The Lonergans, both experienced divers from Baton Rouge, La., were reported missing two days after the diving day-trip on Nairn's boat, the Outer Edge.

Thomas Lonergan, 33, and his 28-year-old wife had arrived in Australia after teaching in Fiji. They joined 24 other tourists for the Great Barrier Reef trip, but when the boat returned to Port Douglas the Lonergans were not on board. The following month, their scuba vests were found on a beach at Cooktown, about 100 miles north of Port Douglas. In June 1998, a diving slate was found in mangroves with a message apparently scrawled by one of the Lonergans. It read: "We have been abandoned by . . . Outer Edge. Help!"

Nairn's attorney, Tony Glynn, introduced nine witnesses who testified they had seen the Lonergans around Australia after their reported disappearance. The court also heard excerpts from the couple's diaries. In one entry Thomas Lonergan wrote: "I feel as though my life is complete and I'm ready to die." Eileen Lonergan wrote in her diary: "Tom's not suicidal, but he's got a death wish." Glynn said he was not advancing the murder-suicide theory by reading from the diaries, but was making the point that Thomas Lonergan was unhappy with his life and may have wanted to "disappear" to start a new one. He said there is no evidence that the Lonergans had died at sea.


Like the diving equipment that washed ashore in Australia, the story of the mysterious disappearance of American divers Thomas and Eileen Lonergan off the Great Barrier Reef in 1998 has a habit of resurfacing. The list of recovered articles are a scriptwriter's dream: a wetsuit believed to be Eileen's found after they went missing with jagged tears in the bottom, other assorted scuba gear belonging to the Lonergans, including dive vests and air tanks, which could have kept them buoyant, even a slate used for writing underwater with a distress message scrawled on it. American divers Thomas and Eileen Lonerga - Jawshark.comPeace Corps volunteers who had been working in the South Pacific, Thomas, in his early 30s, and Eileen, in her late 20s, had gone on a 40-minute group dive miles offshore. Because of an apparently botched head count, their boat left them behind, and they became one of diving's great unsolved mysteries. This week's shark-infested survival film Open Water resurrects the story once again. But the movie is only loosely based on the Lonergans and stays clear of the many intricacies of their story, because even the filmmakers thought no audience would believe them. "This has been a nightmare from day one and now it is all going to come back again," the former skipper of the Outer Edge, Jack Nairn, who was accused of leaving the couple behind, told the Australian newspaper The Sunday Mail. He was eventually acquitted of manslaughter. A massive rescue mission didn't start until two days after their disappearance, when the skipper finally looked inside an unclaimed bag and found Thomas Lonergan's wallet. The couple was never found. Rumours circulated. Some claimed to have seen them after their disappearance and that they may have come back on another boat. But a police investigation found no evidence of this.

Diaries were also discovered among the Lonergans' possessions in which Thomas had written months beforehand, "I feel as though my life is complete and I'm ready to die." Meanwhile, Eileen had written closer to the disappearance about her husband's "death wish." Whether prophetic or simply the kind of despondent, off-hand comments people sometimes consign to journals, they added a layer of sensationalism to the disappearance. Some blamed the uncovered diaries as the local diving industry's attempt to find a motive and minimize the bad press. The filmmakers of Open Water, who are themselves avid scuba divers, emphasize that such an accident is extremely rare, but, since writing the script, "we've been contacted by people from the Solomon Islands. A couple were left for 20 hours in the water. It happened off Catalina Island, Calif. In Egypt, 12 divers [were stranded] -- luckily they were found. It happened in Key Largo, Fla., while we were shooting. It happens."

back to fatalities by country AUS

Sunday, March 3, 1985, Port Lincoln, South Australia:
    Shirley Ann Durdin, a 33-year-old housewife and mother of four, had recently moved with her family back to the bay town of Port Lincoln because allergies prevented her husband, Barry, from working any longer at their farm in the town of Karkoo. She and her husband, three young daughters, and son went out snorkelling for the day at Peake Bay on the far Western side of South Australia's Eyre Peninsula.

     The last one in the water, Shirley Ann slowly made her way back towards the shore while her family waited for her on the shoreline. As she swam she scanned the bay bottom in shallow six-foot-deep water about 150 yards out.  Suddenly, and without warning, a great white shark that eyewitnesses estimated at 19 feet long attacked her, biting her completely in half. By the time rescuers could get to her location, all that could be seen was Mrs. Durdin's headless torso. Seconds later the great white appeared again and took that as well. Friends held a distraught Barry Durdin down to prevent him from jumping into the water after his wife, while he hysterically kept repeating, "She's gone, she's gone." In the days that followed, authorities searched the shoreline for remains, but found only a single swim fin.

Map of Peake Bay Australia Great White Shark alley - Jawshark.com

This is a view of Peake Bay in Australia. This area is on the Western side of Eyre Peninsula. The Eastern side of Eyre Peninsula is the Western shoreline of Spencer Gulf (the large finger protruding into Australia) which has been described by local shark experts as the                   "White Pointer's restaurant".           

       back to fatalities by country AUS

Spear-fishing champion viciously attacked by a shark.

In 1963 South Australian spear-fishing champion Rodney Fox was viciously attacked by a shark. Although he suffered near fatal wounds, today Rodney works with sharks which he now sees as ‘beautiful animals’ and strongly supports the protection of one of the most feared predators – the Great White. RODNEY FOX: December 8, 1963 is a date that I'll never forget. I was the South Australian spear fishing champion, and I was trying to regain my title. Halfway through the competition, I'd swum off shore trying to find a big strong fish. And I dived down, I saw one. I was within split seconds of shooting it -- when all of a sudden this huge crunch, and it hit me in the chest, knocked my gun out of my hand, the mask off my face, and I was hurled through the water faster than I've ever swam before. It was just a nightmare. In the hospital, they cut my wetsuit off me, and they found that there were these huge gashes and teeth marks, and every rib in my chest had been broken, hole through the shoulder blade, the lung had been punctured.

See photos of Rodney's horrific wounds here.     WARNING: These photos are graphic.

Another miracle is the main artery from the heart to the stomach was left exposed, together with the spleen. One nick and I would have died. Nothing was missing, so when they stitched me up, and I -- I repaired, and I've really nothing wrong with me today, except the scars. Death, devil, hell -- that's the level that I put this word 'shark' into in the early days. It was out there, it was the worst thing in the world, but we knew so little about it. After I had killed four or five great whites on hooks and lines, and we'd studied them for quite a few film crews -- and I had actually built cages and we'd filmed them swimming around, and felt safe, a new world came about, because we were now watching these beautiful animals glide and swim through the water, and we saw them in a different way than anybody had seen them before. The great Rodney Fox inside dive cage on boat - Jawshark.comThey didn't come up and try and kill us or attack us every time they saw us. They were just looking for food. And the food that they eat and pursue is the sick, the weak, the slow, the ones with viruses, all the ones that are very plentiful, and so the sharks keep pressure -- something that humans can't do -- on all of the populations. And without them, there'd be a big mess in the oceans. The protection of the great white shark is a great step forward. We really don't know much about the other sharks. They could be in trouble. But the great white shark is the most feared predator in the world today, and so it gets a lot of publicity. And having them protected and giving a chance to learn more about them is a wonderful thing. The thing that attacked me many years ago was an incredible spirit or a problem or a death or a fear or something, but now I look back and I realise that the sharks really aren't man-eaters, that they are part of our life, part of our ocean, and they deserve more respect than being just thought of as 'the best shark's a dead shark'.

Now Rodney runs his own Great White adventure tours

Rodney Fox has had a pretty exciting life. He has scuba dived with sharks and as you have just read from the article above is one of the few people on the planet that can actually say "I have been in the jaws of a living Great White shark". Another exciting story I wanted to include here is a conversation that occurred between Rodney and "The Sharkman" Alex Buttigieg. Find Mr. Buttigieg's site link on the shark links page.

This following story was another close call for Rodney.  Almost equally as frightening as a shark attack.

Read on.......scaaaary.

Sharkman: Another terrifying moment in your life was in 1991, when you were diving with Dr. Eugenie Clark, off Catalina Island, in California. During the filming of the IMAX special "In Search of the Great Sharks". What happened?

Rodney: That was another very close call. I was being filmed diving with Blue Sharks, and wearing a special protective chain mail suit of the type made famous by Ron and Valerie Taylor. The trouble with the particular suit I was wearing, was that it didn't fit me very well, actually being custom made for prominent U/W film maker Howard Hall. It bunched up at my joints, and greatly restricted my movement. I was also wearing a full face mask with a special voice intercom speaking function. This made it very hard to equalize my ears to the pressure when diving, unlike normal face masks where you can pinch your nose and just blow to equalize. The incident happened on one dive when I entered the water and accidentally lost a fin which drifted down below me. I swam down to retrieve it, but with my restricted movement I found I could not get it back on my foot. Then with the compression of my wetsuit and the heavy weight of the chain mail suit, I found I had lost buoyancy and was sinking in water over 3000 ft deep and I was quickly tiring swimming with only one fin on.

As I was sinking, the pressure was building up in my ears to an excruciating level of pain. In the struggle the inflator hose of my BCD had drifted up above my head out of the reach of my restricted arms. With the weight of the suit replacing the need for a weight belt, I had nothing to drop, but I finally managed to remove a few 3 LB weights from my BCD pockets with the difficulty of working with a taped on chain mail glove and the pain throbbing in my ears. Still I continued to sink and with pain and exhaustion I still had an awareness that if I dislodged my full face mask it would flood and drown me immediately!Rays of sunlight shining down into the depths - Jawshark.com I looked down into the dark depths of 3000 ft seeming to come up and swallow me like a set of giant doors. It was then I became terrified. I reluctantly screamed out "help me... help me........I'm drowning" on my full face communications mask, knowing that the surface crew would likely have little or no idea even of where I was, and that my wife Kay was on board listening at the surface. A state of rage dwelled up in me and I shook the scuba tank from side to side on my back in anguish until I felt it shift slightly. From this hint of encouragement I shook further desperately from side to side until I could remove my Tank and BCD, and then I was able to reach the inflator button. Pressing that button down hard, I started to wonder if such a small flotation device could take me up from such a depth? Gradually I felt my arms go up and I started to rise, faster and faster bubbles releasing all around me. On hitting the surface like a Polaris Missile, I had no hesitation on tearing off my expensive coms. face mask. I ended up a few hundred metres away from the boat and we were both more than relieved to see each other. With blood running from my nose, the doctor said to take a long rest from diving to heal the damaged tissues... So the film crew gave me a couple days off, some aspirin and we went on to finish that part of the film!

 AU mini Australian flag - UNITED STATES - SOUTH AFRICA

Search the Internet for more Great White shark information.



Great White Shark Store - Jawshark.com




JAWSHARK.COM ©2007-2011